Outstanding RE is now acknowledged, celebrated and publicised.
If you know your learners have great experiences in RE, the RE Quality Mark will give you national recognition for the work you do.
All documents, including the application form, school evidence form and learner questionnaires can be downloaded from the How to apply page.
The REQM recognises high quality RE, particularly those schools which are providing their learners with authentic experiences and contributing to whole school outcomes.
RE makes a powerful contribution to young people’s learning. It provides them with the chance to explore the big ideas of religion and belief and to think about what matters in their own lives.
Good RE supports the development of the whole child. It also has a significant contribution to make to whole school improvement. With the renewed focus from Ofsted on the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development for all pupils, it is more important than ever that RE is recognised and celebrated.
The RE Quality Mark has two purposes: it recognises good practice in RE and also provides a powerful tool for development. Schools which have applied for the award have found that it affirms the work they are already doing, raises the profile of the subject and gives them ideas and confidence for developing their practice even further.
Why have an RE Quality Mark?
It’s the chance to celebrate great RE. We know that when it is well done, learners engage with the big ideas about being human. They get the chance to explore their own and others’ beliefs, their values and ways of living which are important to them.
The REQM has been set up to:
- raise the profile of religious education in schools
- celebrate a commitment to excellence in religious education
- enable dissemination of quality RE through networking
- provide a framework for measuring, planning and developing the quality of RE teaching and learning
- encourage schools to increase the range and quality of teaching and learning in religious education to improve standards
- develop pedagogies which have impact on whole school improvement
- provide a structure and framework for dioceses and SACREs to map high quality religious education
- address the findings of Transforming RE relating to enquiry based learning
Cost and grants
The cost of the REQM is £475.
If your school has fewer than 150 pupils or has been categorised by Ofsted as “requiring improvement” or in "special measures", it may be eligible for a £275 grant.
To find out more click on the tabs on the right.
"The REQM is very useful as a reflective process as well as an opportunity to celebrate achievement. The school is now considering the Head of RE becoming a lead teacher for RE in the county. The criteria gave examples of areas not previously explored by the subject leader – they are now!"
Broughton High School (Gold Award)